Position summary: The R&D Lab Technician’s primary responsibilities will include working with the team to expand and improve current product lines, and assist in the development of new products. Demonstrate expertise in handling raw materials, aid in development of standardized processes and product specifications, measure and record data for consistent execution, and support product commercialization.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment
- Experience in bakery/pastry/production/manufacturing
- Ability to follow directions in written and verbal format
- Possess basic computer skills including – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and email
- Expertly weigh, measure, mix, bake and finish baked & pastry goods
- Advanced mathematic skills to include, but not limited to, the ability to deduce averages, determine percentages, and use algebra to calculate differing throughputs
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Ability to become AIB certified within 6 months of enrolling in the Advanced Baking Technology Course
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience in food manufacturing/processing/bakery.
- Associates Degree in Baking & Pastry and/or 2 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of BRC/SQF requirements
- Flexible schedule that can accommodate work load peaks and variations
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Consistent and dependable attendance.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. consistently per production needs.
- Must have the ability to stand a minimum of 6 hours without a break and a maximum of 12 hours with a break. There are NO sitting positions or jobs.
- Organize, refill and keep common and sample ingredients in an orderly manner while recognizing shelf life and expiration dates
- Ability to record baking data and keep good records
- Work in a clean, organized manner including washing pans, cleaning equipment, removing trash
- Be available to work overtime per departmental needs.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and traverse walkways.
- Ability to work in confined spaces. (Spiral, oven area, proof box, etc.)
- Implement standards for existing product and process parameters
- Aid in researching parameters for purchased products including ingredients, work in progress and finished goods
- Work under the approval and direction of the Research and Development Supervisor/Manager to revise/improve existing baked products